Saturday 4 March 2017

27th January

With the weather staying reasonably good for January, I have been able to make the most of my weekends at home to strip components from the chassis. All going well I should be able to take it for galvanizing in mid February.


Only the rear end to strip now!

Despite being a 1998 vehicle and having a very solid chassis a lot of the components that I removed will require either significant reworking or replacing altogether. Personally I cannot see the point in spending a lot of time and money on bodywork, internal fit out and "extras" if the basis of your vehicle is not solid.

When finished (sometime way in the future), we want to use "Wolfie" to travel in and explore some of the remoter places on the planet. The extensive rebuild that I have now started on will I hope give us the mechanical reliability needed to do so

Oil leaking from the 300tdi engine over the years has kept the front of the chassis well protected from rust

One of the largest bodywork components that I removed was the front bulkhead. With all the repair panels that are currently on the market, the bulkhead would I am sure be repairable by an experienced welder. 

Although I am not rushing through this rebuild, repairing the bulkhead was something I saw as too time consuming and so I advertised it on Ebay. Being probably a bit too optimistic the first time I advertised it it did not sell at the reserve that I set. It did not sell the second time either although there were hundreds of viewers and a number of watchers.

Wanting rid of it as I have no room to store it I advertised it with no reserve and it sold for £0.01 which saved me a trip to the tip. At least the bulkhead has a chance of being recycled!

The old bulkhead went on Ebay


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.